Wednesday 5 February 2014

O, Canada

Being a new, budding, Canadian author, is difficult to say the least. Difficult because of the IRS.

Let's back up.

Two of my last three short stories I've written have gotten contracts. I'm over the moon. The third didn't after one submission and I trashed it, realizing it probably wasn't my best work anyway.

After my first contract offer, which is with the wonderful company Torquere Press Inc., I found out to be an international citizen  and sell eBooks in the United States of America, I need something called an ITIN. It's basically like a made-up Social Insurance Number. Without one, the IRS can take 30% of your royalties. 30%! That's huge because your publisher is probably already getting 45% - 80%.

Now, here's the thing: I write for love. I love writing and I do it completely as a hobby. I'd love one day to have a small fan base, sure, but it's not like I'm really worried about those few dollars the IRS is going to take. It's just the principle of the matter and the hassle of it all.

Needless to say, I'll be mailing my complete and perfectly filled-out forms to the IRS, along with a birth certificate, and letter from my publisher, all in hopes that my birthday certificate comes back to me safe and sound, as well as my shiny new ITIN.

Wish me luck!

- Nash

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 20, 2014

    Hey! This may seem like out of the blue, but I read your short story "Outshine the Stars" and then came here... and this entry intrigues me. I'm also a Canadian writer, and haven't run into this issue yet (I'm not with Torquere, but JMS). Do you mind if I ask how this whole issue turned out? Were you able to get the forms you needed approved? How difficult did the whole affair end up being?

    Thanks! I really enjoyed Outshine the Stars and now have Carte Blanche to read later. :)

    ReplyDelete